There are many reasons people change their names, including marriage, civil partnership and divorce. According to the Name Act, a spouse by marriage may use the surname s/he had immediately before marriage. Changing back to a maiden name is relatively common, and after marriage, you can continue to legally use your maiden name or use your spouse’s surname. If you choose to go back to your prior name after a divorce, you’ll need your marriage certificate and Canadian birth certificate or citizenship certificate showing your former name. If your citizenship certificate is in your married name, then to change it, you’ll need to file for a legal name change. If you want a completely different name than you previously held, you need to file for a legal name change with the Vital Statistics office. When complete, you’ll receive an amended birth certificate that lists your birth name and new legal name.
Changing your name can be complicated when your passport, driver’s license or other government documents need to be adjusted to accommodate this change. If you were born in Canada, your legal name change will also change on your birth record. We can help you through the process to ensure your name change is legal and all the documents attached to your new name, are updated. The procedures for completing a legal name change follow the Name Act.
  • Reclamation of Indigenous Names
  • Certificates for Change of Name Proof
  • New Legal Name Changes
  • Child Name Changes
Call us to book your consultation for a legal name change. Toll Free: 1-800-663-0392
Thank you for your interest in the Law Firm of Bell Jacoe & Company. Based in Summerland BC, we have served the South Okanagan since 1990. Our experienced lawyers provide help with real estate, wills, powers of attorney, injury, divorce, general litigation, commercial law, and more.
Read more about our Areas of Practice